With the earthworks in place, work began on the infrastructure for the new development at Waterbeach: setting out the internal network that includes foul and storm drainage with pumping station, cycleways, roads, footpaths and the supply and installation of services including water, electric and broadband fibre.
Bedfordshire-based company ECL Civil Engineering has been carrying out this work which, alongside the largescale infrastructure works, includes intricate detail such as installing heritage footways in key areas; creating space for new, integrated cycle ways, hard landscaping public realm including installing the development’s first benches; and tree pits for soft landscaping, coming forward across the green spaces.
So far ECL has installed:
- 10,560m2 of asphalt haul road
- 13,046m2 of on-site roads
- 4,475m of Countryside kerbs
- 6,865m of concrete edgings
- 2,811m of surface water drainage
- 1,984m of foul water drainage
- 760m of twin foul water rising main
- 1,359m of fencing
- 19,480m3 of site-won material processed for re-use
The ECL team has also been preparing the soil, footpath and car parking area for the development’s first allotments and preparing large green spaces, which will then be transformed next year into formal and informal play areas and open spaces for new residents to enjoy.