Over the last year, a number of shareholders have received unsolicited approaches for their shares from parties suggesting they are linked with potential offerors. The Company believes that these are not bona fide offers for shares and shareholders should be aware that these unsolicited share purchase requests are viewed as suspicious by the Company.
Shareholders are advised to be wary of such calls. If you receive any unsolicited investment advice:
- Always ensure the firm is on the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) Register and is allowed to give financial advice before handing over your money. You can check at www.fca.org.uk.
- Double-check the caller is from the firm they say they are – ask for their name and telephone number and say you will call them back. Do not get into a conversation, note down the name of the person and firm contacting you and then end the call.
- Check their identity by calling the firm using the contact number listed on the FCA Register. If there are no contact details on the FCA Register or you are told that they are out of date, or if you have any other doubts, call the FCA Consumer Helpline on 0800 111 6768.
- Check the FCA’s list of known unauthorised overseas firms at www.fca.org.uk. However, these firms change names regularly, so even if a firm is not listed, it does not mean they are legitimate. Always check that they are listed on the FCA Register.
- Consider that if you buy or sell shares from an unauthorised firm you will not have access to the Financial Ombudsman Service or Financial Services Compensation Scheme.
- Think about getting independent professional advice before you hand over any money.
Report a scam
If you are approached by fraudsters please tell the FCA using the share fraud reporting form at www.the-fca.org.uk/consumers/report-scam-unauthorised-firm, where you can find out more about investment scams.
You can also call the FCA Consumer Helpline on 0800 111 6768.
If you have already paid money to share fraudsters you should contact Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040.